Thursday, April 5, 2007

Jaywalker Socks – Happy Valley

Jaywalkers Done!

Pattern: Jaywalker, by Grumperina, from MagKnits, September 2005

Yarn: Lorna’s Laces, Shepherd Sock, color: Happy Valley, from emtnestr on eBay

Needles: Addi circs US1 / 2.5mm

Gauge: 8spi in stockinette

Started: January 2007, while taking care of Mom

Completed: April 4, 2007

Finished Size: Womens Large, fits my US11’s
Jaywalkers Closeup

Notes:
I first knit the leg on US0’s, but the chevron pattern has so little stretch that even my skinny minny feet were not going to fit through the sock leg. Re-knit on US1’s which have enough give to make a wearable sock. I find I really prefer the fabric using Shepherd Sock on 0’s though.

In the oops department, I inadvertently knit one heel with plain slip stitch, and the other with eye of partridge. Oh well.

Had less than an ounce/24g or approx 86yds left over from two skeins, so I estimate the socks used about 344yds to complete with a nice long leg (approx 9 inches).

These socks started fast and I like the way they broke up the variegation of the yarn. I would try another chevron pattern before I knit this pattern again as the lack of stretch results in a sort of baggy ankle.

My feelings about the Shepherd Sock remain ambivalent. I think the socks are nice and soft after a soak. I find the yarn just a little thin and stringy while knitting it which I didn’t feel about the Trekking XXL even though it’s about the same gauge. I ordered this color on eBay and it’s a bit pale and pastel for me but I’m planning to give these to my Mom for Easter as they are perfect springy easter-egg colors and fit Project Spectrum too. Interesting too how different the pooling is on each foot.

For the Sock Marathon I used 344yds or two-tenths of a mile.

No comments: