Monday, March 26, 2007

Monkey Socks

Monkey Socks Done
Click for larger

Pattern: Monkey Sock from Knitty Winter 2006

Yarn: Claudia Hand Painted Yarn, Plumicious, 2 skeins, from Y2Knit in Funkstown

Needles: Two circs, Addi US0 / 2.0mm

Gauge: 8spi

Started: 2/21/2007

Completed: 3/25/2007

Finished Size: Womens US 11

Monkey Socks Done 2
Click for larger

Notes:
This pattern was a fast and easy knit for me. I found the stitch pattern easy to memorize and knit without full concentration. I knit the pattern as written except for using an eye of partridge stitch for the heel flap and picking up one more gusset stitch each side on the heel. I used six full repeats on the foot before decreasing for the toe.

The Claudia’s yarn was wonderful to knit with. The colors are hard to photograph and are more vibrant in person, ranging from a hot pink through soft mauve to chocolatey brown. Until now, I’ve resisted using a highly variegated yarn with a complex stitch pattern, but I think this combination really worked. The stitch pattern, though bordering on lace, is simple and geometric enough that it holds its own with the yarn.

Claudia uses a Louet Gems Pearl base and I love the tight twist while knitting. A soak and block by just patting into shape really softened and relaxed the yarn.

The pattern is knit top down, and I knit it long enough for a size 11 foot, yet had enough leftovers that I could have done an extra repeat or two on the leg. Leftovers, 20g approx 65yds.

No comments: